As I mentioned above, I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful children (soon to be three) who I love spending time with. My husband and I share a passion for sports and we actually met through baseball. We enjoy going to games and playing sports with our children. Being from Chicago, I am a White Sox fan, NOT a Cubs fan. My husband is a Dodgers fan, and I have become one as well, so I have adopted them as my favorite National League team. I used to coach girls softball when I was in college and want to get back into coaching as my daughter begins to play softball.
I decided to get into the teaching profession because I love math and working with middle school and high school aged children. I think that it is important that they can see the importance of math and the relevance of using it in their every day lives. I am not currently teaching, I have passed my CSETs, completed my specialization courses and have 3 credential courses left to complete.
My personality test stated things that I already knew about myself. I am an extrovert, I enjoy interacting with people and I have broad interests. I prefer to deal with facts, I take practical approaches and I am interested in clear and detailed information. This clearly explains why I chose math as my content area. Math is factual and the answers are always factual and clear. There is a right and a wrong, there may be multiple ways to solve a problem, but there is always a clear answer. My preferences are for sensation, I have a natural tendency to influence people by providing facts, evidence or detail. That preference is also helpful for teaching math.
My personality is ESFP, I am an action-oriented person. I enjoy applying my people skills to achieve the tangible. I take action and lead by example. I also have a flexible and go with the flow personality which is beneficial for myself and my students. Being flexible with regards to lesson plans is important because I may have to make last minute changes depending on the needs of my students, i.e. how quickly are they understanding the material or do we need to take a bit more time to cover it.